Warming Up

Warming Up

Friday, January 7, 2011

Album Spotlight

Ever notice that often the music your parents played when you were a kid ends up being some of your favorite music for life?  Well one of my favorite records when I was growing up was Simon and Garfunkel’s “Greatest Hits.”  My parents played it a lot and when I left home and started my own record collection I stole their copy.  Not cool, I know, but that’s just a great album and I wanted it (don’t worry, my mom “borrowed” my two CD set of S&G’s greatest hits a couple years ago and I never got it back.  Are we even now?).


So this morning, while we were getting the boys ready for school, Sara asked “why don’t we listen to Simon and Garfunkel anymore?”  A quick trip to the record shelves fixed that problem.  What a great way to get ready in the morning.  I love Simon on his own, for sure (I have all of his records from the 70’s and a couple from the 80’s), but Paul and Art together is just magic.  Their voices are so perfect together.  I’ve heard that at times their relationship was acrimonious, but once they start singing with each other they become angels.  Singing (and/or playing) with someone isn’t always easy but when you find that special partner it feels like a gift.  In my mind, the combined voices of Simon and Garfunkel are certainly a gift.  And the older I get, the more power and meaning I find in the words.  These songs have become a soundtrack for my life.  And what makes me really happy is that these songs are becoming a soundtrack for my kids’ lives too.  Good pick this morning, Sara!

Thanks for Caring, Thanks for Sharing.

3 comments:

  1. Bart! It's crazy, that disc was a favorite of mine when I was younger too. I haven't listened to it in years and I thought of it just a few weeks ago. I went to look for it, but I guess I lost it somewhere along the way. I also used to love listening to my dad's Live in Central Park cassette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not the only record you took, just the best one. And I didn't 'borrow' the CDs, I 'took' them. Maybe I took "Graceland" too, or you gave it to me. If so, we are temporarily even. -- I must say though, you do have good taste.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Feldie - Live in Central Park is great. The extreme closeups of Garfunkel's face in the movie are a bit much to look at, but man, where those guys great!

    And no, Mom, I had Graceland on tape and now on CD. Must be your copy!

    ReplyDelete