Warming Up

Warming Up

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Inaugural Post

So since is the first official blog post on Outside Pants I should probably have something real important to say.  But I don’t really so here are some upcoming gigs of mine that I thought I'd mention:

Friday, January 21st at World Café Live (downstairs) – I’ll be playing with Philly Bloco, a 22-piece Brazilian Carnival band.  This band is a blast to play with.  Crazy high energy party band.  All covers – about half Brazilian tunes and half a mix of New Orleans tunes (Dirty Dozen, Dr. John, Meters, etc.) and American pop/R&B tunes (some Stevie Wonder and some Otis Redding) that get a samba treatment.  If you like to dance this would be a good show to come to. 


 

















Saturday, January 22nd
at The Rotunda – I’ll be playing The Rotunda - for the first time in about two years – with Bobby Zankel and the Warriors of the Wonderful Sound.  Bobby’s avant big band is like no band you’ve ever seen.  Traditional big band instrumentation but the music is purely Bobby’s conception and aesthetic.  Bobby has created his own language on the alto saxophone as well as in his writing and arranging.  It’s powerful, dense, funky, challenging, engaging music and the band is stocked with some awesome musicians.  We also play the first Thursday of every month at Tritone.  I’ve been a Warrior for ten years now.  Nice.


 







Friday, January 28th
at the North Star Bar – I guess it’s that time of year again.  This is turning into a tradition – although, something tells me that this will be the last time.  Fathead – the great Philly band I used to play and tour with back in the mid and late 90’s is having another reunion show.  The guys are going to relearn a lot of our old tunes and play them for the people who supported us like crazy back in the day.  Everyone is a little older now, but I’m sure that won’t slow us down.  I think we played that music better at last year’s reunion show than we did when we were a full-time band.  Always good to see and play with old friends.  It was a badass band!


 






Thursday, February 3rd at Tritone – the Warriors of the Wonderful Sound reconvene.  Gearing up for our April concerts with Steve Coleman (4/9) and with Rudresh Mahanthappa (4/20 at the Iridium in NYC).










Hope to see some readers at these shows. 


And in the words of my friend Rosemary C.: Thanks for Caring, Thanks for Sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment